The online catalogue
Access the online catalogue to start your search
- Accéder à la Salle des inventaires virtuelle pour commencer votre recherche
- Aide à la consultation
- Vidéo de présentation de la SIV
What can I find in the online catalogue?
In the online catalogue you can:
- explore the resources of the Archives Nationales via over 24,000 finding aids detailing the collections and 14 000 notes defining the entities (organisations and individuals) from which the archives originate;
- directly consult over 1.9 million digitised archives and LEONORE database documents (records of Légion d'honneur holders, 1800-1976, partly digitised).
The online catalogue is regularly updated with new finding aids that describe and record the archival holdings held by the Archives Nationales, regardless of medium: parchment or paper, photographic or digital.
These descriptions give access to:
- the archives of mediaeval and Ancien Régime institutions: the Trésor des Chartes (royal archives), ministerial departments under the Ancien Régime, sovereign courts, ecclesiastical establishments of the diocese of Paris, etc;
- the archives of central state institutions from 1789 to the present day: the archives of heads of state and government, ministries (excluding defence and foreign affairs) and their dependent institutions, parliamentary assemblies, high courts (Council of State, Court of Cassation, Court of Auditors, etc.), and bodies linked to the two World Wars;
- the deeds and repertories of the Paris notaries;
- the archives of individuals, families and private organisations of national interest.
The online catalogue also searches the following databases, directly accessible using these links:
ARCADE : information on state purchases of works of art, 1800-1969;
ARCHIM : a collection of digitised images of emblematic documents;
LEONORE : Légion d'honneur holders' records, 1800-1976.
A search bar allows you to explore the finding aids describing our archives. Enter your search, then filter the results obtained using the "Refine your search" function.
You can also filter documents that have been scanned and can be viewed online, as well as view document thumbnails.
Other search tools are available at the top of the page:
- search forms in all archives or subsets: Paris notaries' archives, iconographic documents, nominative files;
- access by collection and filing plan ("Browse collections"),
- search forms in the record creators' entries (the individuals, organisations, or families, for example,that were the original sources of the records).
- To begin your research, consult our search guides on a variety of research areas. More detailed or thematic guides are available to help you take your search further.
- If these do not answer your questions, you can request search assistance by logging in to your account ("Request search assistance").
You can create an account to:
select and save your searches:
reserve a document for consultation;
make a search or copy request;
make a request for an exceptional consultation, if the document is subject to special conditions.
You can also consult finding aids and databases not yet accessible via the
online online catalogue.